We recommend that you register with a GP as soon as you get to Bristol – don’t wait until you need treatment or a prescription! You can always register with your home GP for the holidays as a temporary patient.


The Student Health Service is an NHS GP surgery for Bristol University students and their dependants. Their service is tailored specifically for students, and they have a sexual health and a travel clinic.


If you aren't in the "catchment area" for the Student Health Service (or don't want to register there), you can find more information on how to find a GP here.


Walk In Services


If you haven’t yet registered with a GP, but you need to see a doctor, you can go to an NHS walk-in centre.  The nearest one to the University is at 35 Broad Street, BS1 2EZ.




As of 1 April 2011, the current prescription charge is £7.40 (though certain contraception methods are prescribed free of charge).


Many students, depending on their income, may be eligible for help with prescription charges. To claim for this, you will need to fill out a form HC1. You can collect a form from your doctor or dentist, or from the Just Ask advice office.




You can search for NHS dentists here. You may be able to claim for help with dental treatment fees, if you fill out a form HC1 (see above). NHS dental charges depend on what you have done, but fees are set in bands. More information is provided by the NHS here.


Sexual Health


You can find out more in the Sexual Health section of our website.